Friday, November 4, 2011

Observation: week #7

This week in lab was fun! Even though the children seemed very antsy and didn't listen very well, the teacher kept the class under control. The same routine was in play, but for centers and when the children split up, there were different activities offered than usual. The usual trains/blocks were available, but then others went with one of the aids outside to the garden. Here is where they measured and discussed the "bloom + grow" activity. The other activity that was offered was to experience clay. This where I sat and observed and listened in. The teacher had a large tarp laying on the floor and four large block of clay. There were only a few interested in this activity. Possibly the others were intimidated? The children that were interested took their shoes and socks off and sat down with the blocks. It was fun watching them experiment and see what they could do. One child started to poke holes in the block and said, "It's cold!" and giggled. the other child leaned back and rubbed his feet all over it. Whild they did this they seemed so amazed. It was definitely something different than what they've experienced before; nothing like good 'ol playdough. Definitely small motor skills came into play. Since the clay was much thicker, heavier, and much harder to tear and form, the children had to pull and tear with some force causing them to try harder and use more muscle.

If I were the teacher of the classroom I would continue this activity with a clay project the next day. Since they got to experiment with the clay and get a feel for it, I would give a decent amount to each child and let them make whatever they wanted. We would let what they made dry, and possibly paint them. Materials that would be needed would be the clay, and supplies to prepare for a mess and to clean it up. This project would take at least two days. I remember at a young age, maybe 3rd grade, doing a science project on an otter and my dad helped me do a report and sculp one out of clay. It's funny that I remember the little things that I did when I was younger as I go through school and working with children.

No comments:

Post a Comment